Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

1994 Challenger 454 Chevy engine, no electricity to cig lighter,

Customer Question

1994 Challenger 454 Chevy engine, no electricity to cig lighter, steps, header fans, internal lights, or starter for generator where once there was no problem. All fuses and breakers are good. Think battery disconect switch may be culprit.
Can this be bypassed or replaced? What suggestion do you contemplate?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Normally if you have a battery disconnect switch inside for the battery you will have a solenoid, when you hit the switch it triggers the solenoid and allows DC power inside. Sometimes when you hit the switch you can hear the solenoid click each time, if you can not locate it by sound follow the battery cable to the solenoid. Once you find the solenoid you should see two larger posts, check for power on each side if you have power on one side and not the other get an insulated wire and jump the posts to see if power comes on, if so bad solenoid. Try tapping it as well sometimes the contacts inside the solenoid can stick. I would replace it if you find it is faulty... Robert