Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

When I parked my 2003 motor home with a 5.9 cummins 4 months

Customer Question

When I parked my 2003 motor home with a 5.9 cummins 4 months ago it was running great but had a trouble code light. When I started it yesterday no trouble code, but it has no power the fastest it will go is 30 mph although the rpm reads 22 or 25
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Few things I would look at or try before having a shop look at this...
To start I would replace the fuel filters, if the fuel filters were plugged it would be an issue. I would also pull the air filter make sure it is clean, if the unit sat want to make sure nothing has gotten inside.
Next I would inspect the CAC and piping (Charge Air Cooler). The CAC will sit behind the radiator and have large rubber boots and clamps, make sure the clamps are tight and the boots are not ripped. What you can also do with a helper is get some soapy water and spray down the piping and CAC, start the engine and apply the foot brake and give about 800 rpm's, do not go over that, while the engine is at that RPM, inspect the soapy solution for any bubbling, on very large leaks you would hear it. IF that looks good then you might be looking at a turbo issue and I would have a shop with the Cummins Insite software hook up and see what faults are stored. In the long run getting the codes pulled will save time and money and tak most of the guess work out, not only that the cummins software will walk the tech through possible solutions... Hope this helps some.... Robert