Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2000 catalina travel trailer.The water pump stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2000 catalina travel trailer.The water pump stopped working, despite water in the tank, the switch light is on. . Where is the pump located so that we can start looking for the source. We live in Hawaii so needless to say there are no service technicians here.
CHERYL S
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
I can give you some general areas to check. The pump many times will be close to the water tank or near the city water connector. I would look in the compartment where you hook your water up for a removable panel, IF your tank is under the bed I would look in that location. I have also seen them under the bathroom sink, you have to remove the false panel to get to the pump. When looking outside look for any panels with screws on them near the city water connector. IF you still can not find the pump please let me know as other experts might be able to help. Location is always difficult because it changes each year and with each floor plan.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We found it under the couch through the auxiliary shower panel however we cannot reach it from the outside panel or the couch in a jack knife position. ARGH! It's too far in to reach from either position. Not sure if we can remove couch. Suggestions? And if we can what would be the first step to see if the pump is bad or if it's something else?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Do you have more then one water pump switch?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just the one by the kitchen sink
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
With only one switch then there is no relays involved. To me it sounds like the pump is at fault if the light is coming on, make sure you also have good battery voltage or good voltage at the pump. Sometimes you will also find an in-line fuse 18" from the pump on the positive wire, it would be in a fuse holder. IF you can get to the pump you can also try and jump the pump with a 12 volt charged drill battery and see if the pump comes on, if not it is bad.
As far as access I have seen that set up before and it is very difficult to get at.
You should be able to remove the couch so it is out of your way, normally you will have brackets or bolts that secure the couch to the floor, once they are out you should be able to slide it out of the way, even they can be difficult to get at but easier then trying to replace the pump....
Hope this helps... Robert
IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, husband is trying to see if he can get couch out. I did notice that every once in a while it would run for a few seconds when no faucet was on, could there be a water pressure issue
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Water should come directly from the tank to the pump, so if water is in the tank the pump should be working. Also on the inlet of the pump sometimes you will find a strainer, it would have a clear plastic bowl, the top comes off and there is a screen inside, want to make sure it is not plugged. Not all will have that, especially in tight areas. To me it is sounding like the pump is at fault...
Robert