peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

We purchased a used 2008 Winnebago Journey and towed a trailer

Customer Question

We purchased a used 2008 Winnebago Journey and towed a trailer for the first time. Prior to leaving all the lights were checked on the coach and trailer with everything working. After 4.5 hours on the road we pulled over for the evening and when we disconnected the trailer, we noticed that the brake lights on both the trailer and coach remained on, even after the ignition key was turned off. The only way to get the brakes lights to go off was to unplug them at the rear of the coach. Before proceeding the next day we plugged everything back in and the same result. We proceeded to a local heavy vehicle service center with an electrical specialist and they followed the wiring from the rear to the front of the coach and there did not appear to be any compromised wires. This specialist used a plug in tester that showed connectivity at all points. There was a disconnect underneath the dash and that was separated which resulted in 2 of the lights to go out on the plug in tester. The disconnect was plugged back in and we were able to get the right turn signals only to work and the brake lights remained on. Since our return home, we have brought the coach to the local RV service center and they have tried to troubleshoot this issue without any luck. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
I have seen shorted turn signal and brake light switches cause this type of fault here before and had to replace the affected switch.If these were not tested at all this should be done to see if any of these switches are the cause needing repaired to correct this.
Thanks Pete