Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a Norcold 621. On propane it stays lit until the ignitor

Customer Question

I have a Norcold 621. On propane it stays lit until the ignitor quits sparking. What gives the unit flame proof? I can't see any thermocouple. this is a rv refrigerator
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
The electrode senses the presence of flame, per manual....
When the Mode Selector switch is set to GAS, the L.P. light on the Eyebrow will illuminate, the coil of relay K2 will be grounded by a transistor on the Eyebrow board, K2 contact will close, and 12 volts will be applied to the Ignition Module to start the ignition sequence, the Gas Solenoid valve will open. The ignition electrode will spark the Burner. When a flame is sensed the spark will cease. If the Burner does not light, the electrode will not sense
the flame, the spark will cease. In this case, the Gas Solenoid valve will close, and the Ignition Module will illuminate the check light on the Eyebrow....
So if it is not staying lit I would blow out the burner tuber really good and make sure the electrode is about 3/16" over the burner tube. I might also remove the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol. Next I would want to confirm the LP pressure at the back of the fridge, it would be hard for you to do without a manometer. IF the gas valve is opening up then you are looking at a faulty electrode or circuit board and I would replace the electrode to start.... Hope this helps some.... Robert