Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Just bought an RV. On gas, the freezer gets cold but the fridge stays warm. I'm

Customer Question

Hi, just bought an RV. On gas, the freezer gets cold but the fridge stays warm. I'm told it worked just fine last year. Apparently an exhaust vent was replaced on top of the RV last year.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
What is the make and model of the fridge and on AC have you tried running it and do you get the same results?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert, I am not at the RV and cannot remember the make and model. It is not a Norcold nor a Dometic. Attached is a picture. Does this help? If this doesn't help I'd have to get out and have a look at the fridge closer.The fridge and freezer both work fine on AC power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry here is the pic.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
That is a dometic, not sure on the model however it gives me some idea. This could be an issue with the thermistor or a cooling unit problem. The freezer will always get cold long before the box will so it is still possible to have a bad cooling unit. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. For a rupture you might smell ammonia, hear a gurgle when you turn it on or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. FOR a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH AC and LP, that is why I asked if you ran it on AC power.
The other issue is the thermistor, one end sits inside the fridge and the other end goes to the circuit board, the circuit board is located under the outside access panel. I believe on that model you will have a two wire connector on the board for the thermistor, it should say P-2. What you can try is disconnect the connector and try letting it run for a few hours to see if it cools, if so bad thermistor.
Make sure nothing is up against the coils on the back as well and the top vent is clear and clean...
Hope this helps IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen the thermistor in the fridge. I'd think however that if it worked on AC then it wouldn't be the thermistor... It should be one thermistor for AC or gas, no?If it is a blockage, is there some way to "unblock" the blockage?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Well you cleared that up with it working on AC power so probably not the cooling unit or thermistor....
So, what I would do is remove the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol. With it not cooling on LP only it could also be a LP pressure issue or the flue is very dirty. The problem here is the LP pressure should be checked with a manometer at the back of the fridge and to clean the flue out the fridge will have to be removed. IF you want to get me the model I should be able to send you a service manual on this... Robert