Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Atwood LP Gas Water heater works fine on elecrtic side. when

Customer Question

Atwood LP Gas Water heater works fine on elecrtic side. when pushing swtch in motor home to gas the water heater fires and heats when water cools and calls for unit to fire it tries ignites short burn, shuts off tries again short time then shuts down, This is a 10 gallon unit in a motor home.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
This could be a few things, first go to the circuit board located under the outside access panel and pull the connector off the board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser. Sometimes this is a weak link.
On the tank should be a thermostat and high limit cut off they will have a brown wire going to them from the circuit board, I would replace them and have the circuit board tested, most RV shops have a board tester to tell if it is bad.
Also make sure you have good DC voltage on the back of the fridge, the burner tube is clear and clean and the electrode is about 1/8" over the burner tube, with it coming on and off like it is sounds like the T-stat or circuit board is at fault...
IF you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert