Wayne, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Work on several type of Rv engine, Trans, brakes
6825259

1994 southwind replacing batteries. took out 2 old 6volt bats.

Customer Question

1994 southwind replacing batteries. took out 2 old 6volt bats. needed to move the motor home and retract steps. i set a 12 volt battery in and hooked up wires as they were to the 6 volt system. except for the ones to the right side battery i bolted them together. started mh moved it steps in and out ok. next day got new batteries put in wired them back same as old ones were. now she wont start head lights very very dim. the selinoids dont click when turning batteries on and off.
Category: RV
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm WayneI will help you with this sounds that you are not hooked correct,like you are only getting 6 volt to MHdid yo hook up the jumper cables on the 6v batteries from Pos to Neg let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ground wire from 12v- to the 6-volt ..then a heavy wire to starter 12v.and a heavey wire from 12 v+ to the entelli box i think then one heavy wire from pos. to neg. between the 6volt batteries.and three other wires on the first 6volt pos. side with that jumper................. and one heavy wire on 2cnd 6volt pos.to....?????
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for that
2nd 6 volt Pos to starter
can you send a pic of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goodmorning Wayne I can send picts. if i could get your email address I can send from my phone.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Morning I can not give my e-mail address per JA rules, use the paper clip in the tool bar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no paper clip
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
does your 6 volt look like this connection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of those mine is neg from 12v to neg post on 6v then from pos on that 6v to neg on 2cnd 6v then the pos on 2cnd 6v to heavey red wire. checked with voltage there and it is only 6.22 volts there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its hooked in like the one that says series with 12 volt ahead of
the 6s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the first 6v positive post there are 4 wires white &&....the jumper to 6v neg &.....a heavey black going to ground strap at frame and engine ground strap....and lighter black cable not sure where itg goes ..
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that
The lighter black cable ,if black that should be ground,
Red is the Positive, if you have a test light
hook it to the Neg on any battery
and touch the wire if light lite it is a Positive cable, if it does not light
it is a ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Wayne got it fixed.....the prior owners had a wire placed wrong ...I got a volt meter and chase some stu7ff down .....thanks for your hepl..... you got me thinkin and figured it out.......THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome