Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2000 Travel Supreme and a 2002 Travel Supreme Express.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Travel Supreme and a 2002 Travel Supreme Express. I plugged the 2000 model in back in January and it fried a lot of my electronics, I put it in the shop and had it fixed while I stayed in the 2002 model. My first trip after having the first one fixed I plugged it in and fried the two air conditioners, the microwave and refrigerator. It is back in the shop. I am now in the 2002 model and plugged it in today and it fried the microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot. I do use a Surge Guard model 34750 power protector. All problems were at nice R.V. parks. Could you please tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thanks
J Cunningham
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
The only time you really see an issue like this is if you are plugging into 240 direct. That would certainly damage the items that you mentioned. Not only that it has happened on two units so I would be looking at the source you are using. A 50 amp service should have 2 120 volt legs to equal 240. It is possible to plug into a 240 outlet as the cord will go into it. The problem with that is the surge guard should detect high or low voltage for each leg.
The only other thing I can think off is if the generator was running and you plugged in or the transfer switch failed on both RVS but that would be highly unlikely.
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My trailers do not have generators. The plugs I plugged into are all in nice R.V. parks. I checked the voltage with a meter, the voltage in my camper showed 240 one time and 186 the next time. Both times the plug showed 120 on each side.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I really do not have an explanation of what you might be doing wrong. To take out all the appliances there is a wiring issue at some point... I am going to put your question back up for other experts maybe another expert will have some more input on this.... Robert