Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Electrician accidentally installed 30 amp plug as 220 instead

Customer Question

Electrician accidentally installed 30 amp plug as 220 instead of 110. Fried at least TV and Microwave. Don't have power using a standard three prong converter. 12 volt still working. Trying to figure out if next step is to replace the converter... Bozeman, Montana repair facility can't even look at it until July 24th.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert.....
220 is very damaging to the appliances....
What is the make and model of the power converter?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Robert, I was one of the people who didn't read everything and I simply hit respond.I finally found the power converter. It is a Fortron AC to DC Converter & Charger SRV "Standalone" RV Series, 55 Amp with the 3-Stage Option. I've ordered a new one for delivery today. Right now the lights are all working off of the 12 volt system. I think I'm comfortable exchanging the converter. And I have no problem exchanging the TV and microwave. I need to get power into the system to see if the A/C unit was fried. It was turned off at the thermostat. I'm just trying to figure out if there is something else in the electrical system (other than the power converter) that I need to replace.Thanks.
***** *****dschy
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Understand.
You are not going to know until you get the new power converter installed to see what is working and what is not. Most of your appliances require AC and DC power, such as the fridge, roof AC units etc.... Also not sure if you know this but most microwaves will have a fuse inside, it would be a glass fuse but the unit would still have to be removed to get at it.....
IF you have more questions please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, It is the only way I get credit... Robert