Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Have a Roadtrek 2000 P200...need help with house battery.

Customer Question

Have a Roadtrek 2000 P200...need help with house battery. I am going to have my house battery replaced. From my reading it seems the most practical is an AGM type, Is that correct?
The house battery (currently a wet cell) is stored under the coach in far back in a "holder" on driver side behind wheel well and to the driver side of the tail pipe. It is NOT an easy place to get to. I would like to replace it.
With the AGM's I understand...1) the battery does not have to be vented ... 2)the battery can be tipped on it's side. Both statements true? If the AGM don't need to be vented and battery can be tipped it seems to me that with little space two 6cycle batteries could work. One in it's home the other mounted on the storage area behind drivers side...then somehow connect the two in parellel. Thank you very much.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
1 Yes just because it is sealed does not mean it does not have to be vented. In the event of overcharging,the potentially explosive gasses must be allowed to escape.
2. I have never seen them put at any other way but facing up, I would not advise to install them tipped on it's side.
3. IF you have the means to secure them properly in a vented area then the 6 volts would be the way to go they would get wired in series. The main positive would go to one battery and the main negative to the other then a jumper is used to go from positive to negative to make the 12 volts.
Sorry if this is bad news for you, in theory they are better batteries, however if they get overcharged they can gas and if the area is not vented then you could have an explosion, would hate to see that happen....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert. Plz do more research on AGM BATTERIES. Batteries Plus states AGM Can be mounted in any position ...also states no hazardous fumes escape battery case (thus no need for venting. Could you research more and get back to me. These bTteries are not wet cell
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I understand what they are saying but if the converter overcharged the battery is going to gas and when it gasses it can exploded if the area is not vented. I been working on RVS for over 18 years and have never seen a 12 volt OR 6 volt on it's side for use.
My goal is for you to be satisfied, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know....