Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have an old 1976 taurus camper i just got. never had to hoock

Customer Question

i have an old 1976 taurus camper i just got. never had to hoock up my self befor. my dad always did that. Now i'm stuck I know the batterie needs to charge. but im clueless on what to look for. I got a "dog bone" to convert 30 amp to 20 amp so i could plug it in at home before i go camping July 1st. I see alkinds of breakers under fridge, but way to flick them. the fridge and furnace work on booth propane and electric so i wanted to see that all is working.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
So are you going into a standard outlet with the dog bone? Are you missing the power when you plug in?
This is an older unit and will try my best to help you with this... It might take some going back and forth...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes a standard outlet with the dog bone. I can't tell where the batteries is but i their is something under the sink that looks like a batterie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing goes on when i plug in. no lights nothing
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
When you plug into power the power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage, it should also charge the battery. Sometimes dog bones can cause problems and stepping down to that standard outlet can also cause problems, you are limited to how much you can run with a 20 amp service, if you are using extension cords the problem would be greater as you can have line loss.
The first step would be to find the power converter and see if it is working.
Let me ask you this are the outlets inside working at all? The system is split AC power, outlets microwave roof ac and then the DC items which the converter is responsible for.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok first ill take the extension cord off the dog bone but i had trouble plugging in the dog bone into that outlet because of the cover. then i'll check to see if outside outlet is working. and get back to you
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok got the dog bone to fit. and yes the power to that outlet is working. the thing under sink is a 10 amp batterie charger with a switch for 6 v or 12 volt and one for trickle down
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Is there a name and model on that?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1976 taurus and no model name on ownership and cant see serial num on hitch mount. painted over and its raining here
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sorry was talking about that 1o amp battery charger under the sink....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
motermaster brand and will have to go look
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok whent under fridge and pressed all breakers and ta da we have lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the question is how do i know that the frige is working? and now i have to check that the pump for the water works too. the water is not hooked up like at the camp site.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Good Job.....
What is the make and model of the fridge? Should be a sticker inside the door, most likely it will run on LP or AC power. If you smell ammonia, hear a gurgle when you turn it on or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge it would be a red flag.
Robert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to look now hold on
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looked iside fridge door and in gives instructions but the breaker on my outlet keeps going so i turned all lights off but it kepps going off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i mean the breaker on the outside outlet goes off. should i go to the breaker in the tailer and turn on only the fridge ?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Yes try that, if you have a main breaker or converter breaker they must be on as well. The fridge requires DC power to work.
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only breaker in the camper is under fridge so go switch only the one for the fridge then
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
IF you shut that breaker off do you still have lights inside?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i left 2 switches on booth say 15 on them but no description of what they control. other two off say lights and outlets and air-conditioner but i don't have that. could that be the furnace? anyway the breaker on outside outlet did not cut out this time
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Do you have any ability to plug this into a 30 amp service with no dog bone or cords?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not till i get to camp site.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
This is an older unit and I am going to put your question back up for other experts. I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily. I am hoping someone is familiar with this model... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the water. doesn't that use the pump to get the water to come out the tap? or is it the pressur from the hose plugged into water spiket that provides this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really old camper 1976 model
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Both, you should have a city water connector that a hose will screw into and you might have a gravity fill port to fill the water tank, the hose would just go inside the port. On some you will have a valve in the plumbing bay you turn to allow the tank to fill when hooked up to city water. On the water heater check the back of it for some valves, some water heaters will have a hot, cold and bypass the hot and cold need to be open valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle against the pipe.....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your presuming i know where this hot water heater is! i saw the inlet for water but with the compartment open i did not see any valves but i'll look in the morning. it is pouring rain now. Plumping bay hummm!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could that valve be inside the camper threw the little access doors?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I am going to put your question back up for other experts. This unit is before my time and have not worked on that many this old, maybe another expert will have some better direction on this...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so i'll check my email to see if they have answers? or do i wait now.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I would check in periodically and see if any experts have responded. They come and go daily... Robert