gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Fleetwood Bounder: I have a 2000 Fleetwood Bounder with a ISB

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Bounder with a ISB 275 Cummins. After a 3 month storage, I started my engine and the first time it started with no problems. After a short period I shut it off and later started it again. This time, I heard a loud squealing sound and then it went away, so I drove it home and parked it. Next day, I attempted to start it, although all the lights would come on, it wouldn't crank. After determining the batteries were just fine, I came to a conclusion that it might be the starter, so long story short, I changed the starter. Now it starts just fine, although after I start the motor, the starter will not disengage while the engine is running. When I immediately turn the key off, the engine stops firing, but the starter continues to crank the engine for a few seconds and then finally stops. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have yet to receive an response to my problem...what is the problem?
Expert:  Larry Welch replied 1 year ago.
Hi Larry, sorry about the delay.Alternator and or belt seized up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What heck are talking about...alternator or belt seized up. There is no belt issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Loud squeeling sound was the starter turning over while the motor was runnning and when ignition turned off the starter kept trying to start the motor for about 5 seconds. The belt and alternator were verified to be turning over just fine prior to requesting help from you guys...it is not seized up.
Going to pass this question to another Tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't bother, couldn't wait...motorhome was towed to the frieghtliner repair shop.