Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have a onan 7500 generator on my 2001 Fleetwood expedition.

Customer Question

I have a onan 7500 generator on my 2001 Fleetwood expedition. The breaker on the generator is tripped. When I try to reset it, it automatically trips again.
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
If the beaker is tripping while you are trying to reset it, you have a dead short somewhere past the circuit breakers.
Since you have already check the junction box by the genset, the next place to check would be at the automatic transfer switch. I can not tell you exactly where it is located in your coach, but most 50A ATS are located in the same compartment as the shore cord. The easiest way to find it is to follow the shore cord, as it will lead directly to the ATS.
If you do not find anything obvious, use an ohmmeter to check both the black and red wires coming from the genset for a dead short to ground. Test right at the ATS.
If a short is found, back up to the junction box, and disconnect all the wires. Test both sides for a short to ground there.
If you find a short on the output side of the junction box, you have a short somewhere between the junction box and ATS.
If you find a short on the input side, the short will be somewhere inside the genset control box, or possibly in the conduit itself, if it has been punctured.
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find the problem?
.