Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Ram Van 3500 camper conversion: I have a Dodge Ram 3500

Customer Question

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 camper van conversion from 1997. Indoor light, the one which should light when the door is opened is not working.

Category: RV
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description a door jamb switch and or its circuit could be at fault. When a door is opened the door jamb switch closes and provides a path to ground to complete the circuit and the light comes on. The door jamb switches are located in the hinged area of the door, they are plunger type switches. This circuit is on all doors and most likely the door that is uses the most is where the problem is. At the interior lamp defeat switch mounted on the headlamp switch. The pink wire should have power from the #14 20 amp fuse in the interior fuse box. You interior courtesy lamps should have power on the pnk/lt blu wires and the yellow should ground any time any of the doors are opened.

I have a circuit diagram for the interior lights on this vehicle. Problem is. Conversion vans options have been added to the original vehicle circuits that are not on factory diagrams. Sherrod, Tuscany or whoever the conversion manufacture is may have diagram information for their conversion addons. I've always gone with the factory diagrams and figured out the affected circuits.

The best way for me to get diagrams to you is through Additional Services. I can offer additional services for 5 bucks and continue this conversation through private email so I can send you diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle. Please accept my offer for 1997 B3500 Interior Lamps so I can better assist you. I hope this information is helpful to you. Let me know about additional services. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.