Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Hey Robert, I have Jayco Jayflight 267bhsw. The airconditioner causes a separate plugin f

Customer Question

Hey Robert, I have Jayco Jayflight 267bhsw. The airconditioner causes a separate plugin fan to surge. The electricity also shut off and no breakers were tripped. I waited 10 minutes and reset all breakers and now its working again. Any ideas?
The AC was on high. It a roof mounted AC 13.5k btu or 12.5k.
Its hooked to a 30amp breaker. I wired it myself 10gauge wire probably 80 feet to main box. It has ran like this for 2 months.
The AC was running hard before tripping.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
I keep reading your question and keeping going back to the 80' cord, that is a long way to run and you could have line loss, if that was occurring then the cord would be getting hot. I know you said it has been like this for two years so a few things I would check. When the AC is working really hard it is going to pull around 16 amps, if other things are also running you might get up to that 30 amp capacity. I would first check the coils on the AC unit, make sure everything is clean, you will have to pull the cover on the roof to inspect. IF the AC has to work hard and the condenser fins are plugged up it is going to make the AC work harder. What I also might do is shut off all your breaker but the main and the one for the AC unit and see if you have problems. IF so then it could be an issue with the AC unit. IF the AC runs good then issue with the voltage. Sometimes things can fail such as the heating element in the water heater or if the batteries were in poor condition could cause the converter to work extra hard which means more amps, so you want to try and narrow the issue down with the breakers. Normally I would also say plug into a normal 30 amp service with no cords, adapters etc to see what happens... Hope this gives you some ideas, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.. Robert