Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Plugged in my trailer to electric outlet, all outlets,, refridgerater

Customer Question

plugged in my trailer to electric outlet, all outlets,, refridgerater and lights work but there is a loud buzz or loud alarm sound
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
When you unplug does the noise stop? Does the noise appear to be coming from near the breaker panel?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, when you unplug the power source the noise stops but so does the electricity in the trailer. the noise is coming from the converter which is located in the rear inside of the trailer
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
I was thinking that it could be the converter. What I might do is check the AC polarity to make sure everything is good with the wiring, the polarity checker will plug into the outlets and tell you if there is a wiring issues, most home improvement stores sell them for a few dollars. The only thing you should be hearing from the converter is the fan coming on as more load is being used. IF it is a loud buzz could be a transformer and the converter would need to be replaced, I would check the polarity and then make sure you have no loose cables/wire at the converter before replacing.... Hope this helps some... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the AC polarity?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
The polarity would be checking to make sure no wires are crossed, the polarity checker will check for a short, open neutral or ground, they only cost a few dollars and a great tool to have for a RV. I suspect the converter is the issue. What you can also try is another supply source and see if the issue goes away... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried plugging it in to a different outlet and we got the same result. All the outlets and lights work properly the only thing is the buzzing noise coming from the converter.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Really hard to say how much longer the converter will continue to work with the noise it is making. I might inspect the cables at the converter and make sure nothing is loose. The noise could be a sign the converter is getting ready to fail, the only noise you should really hear is the fan.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert