Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

I was cooking sliced potatoes in our Atwood Model 35 Wedgewood

Customer Question

I was cooking sliced potatoes in our Atwood Model 35 Wedgewood oven with Italian salad dressing, and it exploded! There were potatoes & glass all over inside the oven. We cleaned the oven and in the process the thermocoupler thing came loose. Does it just snap back in? Do we need to have an RV tech look at it? Please advise. Thanks. Cathy & Claude
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, before we begin, do you know why the potatoes exploded? thanks just want to verify its not the oven, only the potatoes........thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't know why they exploded, and if it was the potatoes, they were pre-boiled and in 1/2" slices; and there were dozens of glass shards from the casserole. Please answer the questions about re-installing the thermocoupler, and do we need to have it looked at by an RV tech?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was there something on the end of the thermocoupler? There is something round for ~3" then something flat. Was there anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, & p.s. I have fixed this dish many times in an RV oven, and nothing exploded.
Good morning, first I have a diagram of the way the thermocouple is installed, scroll down to 'sequence of operation' on the literature, and you will see how its assembled . My concern would be gas leaks at the fittings going to the burner and pilot assembly . I would use liquid soap on the fittings while running, to see if there is a leak. take a good visual inspection of the unit. Take the bottom shelf out so you can see