gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Refrigerator: Atwood HE-0601, almost 2 years old.Operating

Customer Question

Refrigerator: Atwood HE-0601, almost 2 years old.
Operating dry (no shore power, just the 12 V battery fresh off of a winters trickle charge {smart kind}).
Press the power button and immediately the: CHECK, AUTO, GAS, AC lights come on. There is supposed to be a 40 second window for lighting on gas but I do not hear any "clicking" (I've removed the outside panel to reveal the back of the unit).
There are no lights on inside the refrigerator.
All fuses on the control board (on the back of the unit accesses by outside panel) are OK.
This happened before and I took it in, the tech said it was fine and it seemed to be working.
I did the "reset" which is turn it off and back on to initiate a new 40 second cycle to try and start the propane up. I have yet to hear a clicking (trying to light the propane) through all of this.
I hope this is detailed enough.
Category: RV
Expert:  Larry Welch replied 1 year ago.
Hi Larry here. Did you find your issue. You gave a good clue, no light on the inside of the box, hence no 12vdc to the unit. If you need more, please contact me and we will get it solved. Don't forget to rate, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If there is no 12V to the unit, what is powering the inside control board that is showing these light lit: CHECK, AUTO, GAS, AC?

12vdc
If you don't have 12vdc, the box will not run, even on 120vac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 12 VDC from the battery (freshly charged) but no shore power (120VAC).

I am trying to get the refrigerator to operate on battery and propane. Done it many times before.

I don't want to get into a tap dance with you, just trying to help. On the backside of the fridge, you will find a set of white and black wires that meet at a screw terminal. Can you find this? Can you probe bot terminals to see if you have 12vdc on both sides of this terminal. You might have a good hot battery, if you don't have it at the appliance, it will not run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is where the 12 VDC comes in, right?

To the appliance, yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have the RV here, it is in a storage lot so I cannot check to see if there was 12 VDC at that terminal.

Also, (I took pictures), it is a white and a red/white wire coming to the 12VDC block if that matters.

How does this work if I cannot get to the RV to check this until tomorrow?

Send the photos to me and I will tell you if you are in the right spot to test. All I am saying is if you don't have 12vdc to any of the appliances, nothing is going to work!
The white is the ground and the red/white is the hot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct.

If you don't have 12vdc on BOTH sides of this block, there's a problem. Use a body ground to test, you might have a ground issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will not be able to check this until tomorrow.

How does this work if I cannot get to the RV to check this until tomorrow? Is my question closed and this is my answer? First time, I don't know how this works when there is a delay in checking things out.

That I don't know. I am a tech, trying to help folks. I am on and off during the day. Our question is open or you can request me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will check that tomorrow morning. Anything else I should check while I am there?