Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We have a small Dometic refrigerator in our Coachman Travel

Customer Question

We have a small Dometic refrigerator in our Coachman Travel trailer. We got it back today and were getting it ready to go for tomorrow. We know the propane tank is empty but have the trailer plugged in to the electric. Turned on the refrigerator and left it for a couple of hours. It is not the least bit cold. What can we do?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
What is the model of the Dometic?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RM2351
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also changed the fuse in the fuse box.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
On the back of the fridge under the outside access panel should be a circuit board near the bottom of the fridge, did you check the fuses on the circuit board?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, will check that.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you unplug the fridge! One fuse will be for AC power and if you touch that when the fridge is plugged in you can get zapped, let me know if that was the issue, if not we can look at other areas... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No circuit board in the bottom panel. Long black cylinder is hot and to the right of that is a tin covered cylinder that is warm. This is the panel where the hose for the drain of the frig comes out. Did not find fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we unplug the fridge?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
IF the flue canister is very hot then it is not a fuse issue at all, if the canister is hot then it should be cooling off inside the box. What I would do for troubleshooting is get some LP and try running it for a few hours, if you get no cooling the cooling unit could have failed. They can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia, see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge or hear a gurgle when you turn it on. For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH sources.
If it cools good on LP then it could be the ac heating element....
I got your reply on the plug and board, it would be under the outside access panel, the wires from the AC heating element will go from the flue canister (where it is hot) to the circuit board.
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will try getting LP in the morning. Until then we are on hold. Thanks for the suggestions.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem..
Below is a link for a service manual, it might help. Copy and paste that link into your browser. IF you need more help please let me know, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating... Robert
http://www.nancyemmert.com/region6/Resources/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf