Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have a Cummins Onan RV OG 4000, Model #4KYFA26100P. This

Customer Question

I have a Cummins Onan RV OG 4000, Model #4KYFA26100P. This generator is about 1 year old but has ran a lot. It quit this weekend and I discovered that the carburator was bad ( throttle body was worn out). I put a new carburator on and it still would not start. I checked the fuel pump and the plunger and both appear fine. I did find a valve spring that the lock washer had come loose. I fixed that but the generator wtill will not start. If I pull the air filter it almost sounds like it is backfiring. Any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for requesting me.
You really shouldn't have done what you did. If your unit is only a year old, it was still under warranty. You will have voided the warranty by working on it.
When you set the valves, did you set them to .002"? That is the spec.
When you installed the new carb, did you get the choke connected backwards? It is very easy to do on this unit.
Where the choke rod connects to the choke tab, that tab should be on the back side of the carburetor. If it is on the front side, it is backwards.
You stated that you checked the fuel pump. Exactly how did you check it?
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked those things yet?
.