spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a mechanic/ technician for over 30 years working on gas,diesel,engines drive train,and electronics.
65057319

84 southwind replaced mech fuel pump still not starting. hear

Customer Question

84 southwind replaced mech fuel pump still not starting. hear bubbles in the line... is there a fuel filter around carb? he is thinking maybe a push rod accuator? We are stuck at a campground...
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for delay would you still like assistance with this?
Did he replace fuel pump on engine or in fuel tank?
What engine is in this?
Carburetor or fuel injected?
Where is he hearing bubbles?
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New mechanical fuel pump on engine. 454eng. Does it have a electrical f/p on tank? someone said no. reg carb. bubbles in fuel line. it doesnt want to turn over.Maybe trash in the line? Could it be the push rod accuator? The rv sat for about a year and this was the first road trip in a very long time (only drove 2hrs from home)
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Some RV's will use a electric pump on fuel injected engines,, since yours is carburetter you don't have one in tank.
If it was the push rod that drives fuel pump it would not cause bubbles.
If you are seeing bubbles in fuel line the fuel lines from tank to fuel pump need replaced.
You can test by running a new fuel line directly from fuel pump inlet into a 5 gallon gas tank.
If it now runs replace fuel lines.
Since you are stuck somewhere I would first get it running out of a 5 gallon bucket,,then run a temporary line from pump and stick directly into fuel tank opening,,,tie up with rags so fuel does not spill.Do not fill tank all the way maybe 3/4 tank.
This will get you home so you can get lines fixed later.
The lines get dried out,,they won't leak but will allow air to enter causing your issue.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see,
smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same
A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took
to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me
know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks
spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How difficult is it to replace those fuel lines?
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
You need to drop fuel tank to replace them all.
While tank is down you also want to check pick up tube for cracks.
You can use a hand vacuum pump to check tube for leaks once it is apart.
Its probably not all one hose, there is usually a couple places that will have a splice,,you can try replacing one at a time but they all will eventually fail.
Look to see which ones are more dry rotted then the rest and replace those first.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that sounds pretty hard especially when its stuck in a campground!! Thank you for your help
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can be very hard, especially the tank straps,they get rusted pretty good,, even heating them up sometimes does not work and they have to be replaced.
If you do what I suggest at least you can get somewhere to get it done at another time and when you have proper tools and time.
Best of luck to you.
A rating is required. You’re rating my personal service to you, not Just Answer. I am not an employee of this website, nor do
I have control over the fees or the time it took for you to get a response. I respond as soon as I see the questions in the order
that I receive them when I am online.
Thanks