spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a mechanic/ technician for over 30 years working on gas,diesel,engines drive train,and electronics.
65057319

I have a 1992 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel which has a Coleman

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel which has a Coleman Roof air conditioning. When i turn on the air, while it does cool fine, it does emit a musty smell. Was told i might be able to spray something in to the intake side that will help with the smell? Where the heck is that? On the roof? From the inside? And of course, does it help resolve the problem or just mask the problem?
Not looking for a solution that ends with "take it to a professional", looking for a do it yourself solution.
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for long delay.
The intake for ac is on the inside and should have some foam filters that can be removed and cleaned,,,it usually looks like a grill with slots,,,hold a candle or cigarette under ac unit while its running,,smoke will be pulled into intake so you know where to look.
There are usually two-four screws holding filters up just remove and cover comes down.
Hanging stuff on vents may help with smell but it does not get inside the unit but spraying into intake after filter clean will help get rid of smell.
It should solve your problem but if it does not, you would need to remove roof cover,(held on with 4 bolts) and clean out with ammonia/water/soap mix and let dry.
You may also have to clean filters a couple times but its pretty easy.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see,
smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same
A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took
to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me
know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks
spanky