Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Shut my rv down and I am hearing a noise like something is

Customer Question

Shut my rv down and I am hearing a noise like something is trying to engage the noise is coming from the front by the generator area
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert..
Really hard to say where the noise is coming from. What I would do to start is see what both the house and chassis battery is. IF the battery voltage is low under 10.5 volts then it could be the generator trying to auto start, sometimes if the voltage is very low you might hear a clicking noise. IF the voltage is low then I would charge the batteries up and see if the noise goes away.I might also go to the generator and on the back side you should see a plug, unplug that and see if the clicking noise goes away. Beyond that I would see if you can locate the source, if it is clicking you should be able to feel the component and go from there. IF you happen to find out what is clicking please let me know. I would see if this is voltage related to start... Hope this helps... Robert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the transfer relay continue to cycle on the VAC of the Magnum
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Are you plugged into power at all do you have good DC voltage at the house batteries?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its cycling sound like something is trying to engage
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if you got my last reply, are you plugged into power and do you have good DC voltage at the batteries?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am plugged in to 50 amp outlet
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Try this..... Shut all the breakers off inside the RV, unplug from power, while the unit is unplugged from power go shut the inverter off. Plug back into power and then turn all the breakers back on and then the inverter and see if the problem is fixed. Also let me know if the clicking stops when you unplug from shore-power or when you shut the inverter down... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise stopped when I was unplugged
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Did you shut the inverter down and do the breakers yet?
IF you start the generator will the noise come back?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came back when I turned everything back on
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
If you unplug from power and start the generator will the noise come back? And is the noise coming from the inverter or away from the inverter? And I assume when you are plugged in you have all the AC power?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Away
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
So same clicking with generator running?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not clicking more Motor trying to run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even unplugged with the engine off generator off I can hear it
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
I was thinking possible transfer switch issue but if you have all the AC power removed it should not be clicking. IF the noise is away from the inverter then the inverter is not at fault.
IF you shut the battery disconnect switch off will the noise stop?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still have noise
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Do you have a chassis battery disconnect if so can you shut that off?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
SO did the noise stop when the chassis battery disconnect was turned OFF?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK....
Think at this point need to find what component is clicking, you should be able to feel it. With the 12 volt disconnects off the power should be isolated but sometimes items can be wired direct to the battery, these would be components that have a smaller gauge wire going to the battery direct. This is a hard one to say what is causing the noise unless you can directly pin it down.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know... I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shut all the Breakers down and put them on one by one the noise came back when I turned the arc #2 and charger braker back on
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Is that breaker at the inverter or in the breaker panel....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panel
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
SO the breaker we are talking about what does it control? IS it for the inverter?
Sorry for all the questions, trying my best.
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It control AC #2 and Charger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the panel
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Let me review all this and give this some more thought....
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok 👌
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
SO what is the house and chassis battery voltage at the batteries?
I am thinking this has to deal with that inverter, could be a loose connection, or low voltage, wiring issue.
What I do not understand is if you have all the AC power disconnected and the 12 volt disconnects off you should not have any clicking. The inverter will try and charge the batteries when you are plugged in but when you are unplugged it will take the DC battery voltage and make the AC voltage..
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out it was my satellite 📡 surching for a signal 📶
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
wow.... Good job on that, had me going on this one, I am glad it was nothing serious....
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating, if you are not satisfied please let me know... Robert