Ron, RV Mechanic
Experience:  32 years Master Tech ASE certified.
7276279

I own a 1985 Rockwood RV on Ford E-350 Econoline chassis/engine.

Customer Question

I own a 1985 Rockwood RV on Ford E-350 Econoline chassis/engine. It recently ran hot so I removed the thermostat & turned off the air condition. We made it home. The engine seems to run OK but white/blue exhaust smokes when I have to stop for a traffic light. I suspect a blown head gasket and understand the engine would have to be removed.
Category: RV
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Unfortunately white smoke does indicate you likely have a blown head gasket and before you consider removing the heads you should consider having a block test performed, its an easy test to run and it will determine if there are any signs of hydro-carbon in the cooling system. The heads can be removed with the engine in the van but its a very tight fit. Some do choose to pull the engine as well.