Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

Magnetek model 6409.... with ac connected from a plug everything

Customer Question

magnetek model 6409.... with ac connected from a plug everything seems to work but working off the 12v battery nothing happens. lights do not turn on. I have a new 12v battery on the camper.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does your unit have a battery shut off switch, and what kind of coach is it? thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coleman destiny series rio grande. the unit does have a dc fuse
thanks, ***** ***** have a volmeter or 12volt test light?
sorry voltmeter...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a voltmeter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1994 model.... first year with the front trunk
thanks, ***** ***** converter uses an internal switch that changes over from battery power to converter power, take the cover off and with the shoreline unplugged, see if you have the presence of 12volts at the converter section of the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the unit removed from the mounting with all wires still connected... I had found a couple spade connectors unplugged and put them where I believe they belong. I do not know which wires bring the 12v to the converter.
can you take a photo of it, and post it here? thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I post pix here using the '+ADD FILES' link below the chat box?
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
working on it...
thanks take your time, I'll be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a movie of the converter but just found out this doesn't accept that format. will go back and take clear pix ... sorry for the delay
no worries, take your time...........Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's the shot of the wiring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here a shot of the front panel of the converter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on a laptop so I can go out to the camper as needed. I do know that when the AC line is connected the lights in the camper turn on...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at this time the AC line is NOT connected to the camper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 12v battery is fully charged......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and reads about 12.36 volts at the battery terminals
thanks, you converter uses a manual switch (contrary to my first comment) take the front panel off and see if there is 12volt power to the switch (says off, converter, battery) the battery power should be there, see if it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the ground lead of the meter on the ground bar, the spade with the red wire ((right-most as you look at it from the wiring side) reads -1.9volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was with the switch in the OFF position .... the other two lugs measured zero volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that red wire was one of the spade lugs that was originally disconnected when I opened up the converter
is there 12volt power at the blue wire? if not it does not appear that the battery voltage is arriving at the converter, go to the battery, and follow the positive wire, as it will run back to the coverter, there may be an auto breaker or fuse on that line. we need to check it auto breaker looks like this photo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wires run from the battery terminals into the camper frame where I can follow it to a point where there's a loop of wires that are tied in place with a cable tie..... the wires continue through the frame to the opening on the camper floor where it comes into the living space then runs out in a cavity behind the camper (in a large plastic covering) that I do not have access to from the inside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that auto breaker be located in that space in the rear of the camper?
I wish I knew, what I would do is follow that wire, and check voltage on it along the way, you need to find where the power is lost to the converter, wish I was there to help, the hunt is on. but do test along the way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by sticking a small wire through the insulation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blue wire coming into the converter is connected to a black wire with a red stripe that goes around the insulation. in looking at the wires that come into the camper from the frame there is no black wire with red circling stripe. I would take that to mean that the auto breaker is in that cavity, takes the 12v from the batter (through the frame) then runs the voltage from the auto breaker to the blue wire...... huge assumption though
yes stick the probe of the meter (which is pointed sharpen if necessary) to the wire along the way. A test light is easier to use, the voltmeter takes two hands, or attatch a ground wire to the black probe, and stab away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wires coming into the camper from the frame are colored red, green, white, brown, pink, and gray.... which one would be the 12V?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry... computer just clitched.... u still there
you will need to follow the wire from the battery, there is no color code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so starting at the battery ensure that I have 12v.... the go to that loop of wire beneath the frame to see if I can find which wire still has 12v..... then follow it into the cabin..... is that pretty much what you're suggesting?
Your are correct................follow the power,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this will take a while...
This is where the do it yourself comes in............
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah..... I found that the loop of wire beneath coming out of the frame is just a long blue wire that terminates there! it goes nowhere... sticking my finger in the hole I found about 4 wires running through the frame..... including the white wire that I believe should have the 12v. when I check that white wire in the cabin I don't get 12v...... could I have a disconnect between the battery and the converter?
its possible, unfortunatly, you need to find it, OR run a new wire, and create your own circuit, make sure that is indeed the 12volt supply wire and the same wire inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to try and run a continuity check......
thats the right thing to do.........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no continuity running from the +12v terminal on the battery to any of the three wires coming to the switch on the converter.
this verifies what we suspected ....... I would run a new wire from the battery to the converter, protecting it with a 25 amp fuse or auto breaker, this will cut to the chase, or you can keep looking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok..... which terminal on the switch do I connect the 12v?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what gauge wire should I run?
to find out, plug the coach in, and with the converter on, see which terminal has power on it with converter power, then use the other terminal this is where the battery power should be...how long is the run of wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
estimated 15ft... in looking at the switch the center terminal is connected to the fuse..... the left one looks like it's wired to the bridge circuit (what looks like diodes and a cap) meaning the rightmost terminal would most likely be the incoming 12v?
I would agree and use a piece of 10 guage wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so this is where I stand..... run a new 10 gauge wire from the battery to the rightmost terminal on the converter box. put a 25 amp inline fuse on that wire. if I took that continuity wire from the +12v terminal and connected it to the converter box just long enough to see if the lights turn on, would that be a valid check?
Yes I would agree, and my next suggestion, a test prior to running the wire.............I am nervous as I would agree the other terminal is comming from the converter, but a test would be nice. Plug the shoreline in, and see if there is voltage from the converter there. you know what they say about assuming ......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just did it... no lights... I made sure the switch was set to BATT ..... what is a shoreline?
shoreline refers to the electrical cord you plug into an outlet to power up the trailer. OK... back up a bit, plug the coach in, and make sure the lights are working off the converter as originally, then test the switch for power from the converter, and figure out what is different
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah I know..... when I tested using the continuity wire I had to disconnect the corresponding wire going into the converter... otherwise I had a dead short to the battery.......
I must apoligize at this time I am at a loss, and must go out for a bit, with that I am going to opt out of your question, and allow another expert to assist you, thanks for your patience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help...... do I wait to hear from someone here?