spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a mechanic/ technician for over 30 years working on gas,diesel,engines drive train,and electronics.
65057319

The brake pedal sticks down and stays engaged

Customer Question

the brake pedal sticks down and stays engaged
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry about long delay.
It is impossible to answer your question without knowing what kind of RV you have, could you please post all RV information such as make and modal?
Does it have air brakes or hydraulic?
Can you pull up pedal when it does stick?
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998 Winnebago adventurer. It has a master cylinder so I would say it's hydraulic. You can pull up on the pedal.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for info Steve.
There is a link between the brake pedal and the master cylinder,,it attaches together with a clevis pin or held on with a clip,,you first need to remove the clevis or pin separating link from pedal,,
then see if pedal is sticking,,you can spray some penetrating fluid around joints while moving pedal up/down to see if it frees up.
They get dirt and junk in there from sitting.
If it was the master sticking once you pulled up on pedal the brakes would still be dragging.
The link from pedal to master just sits against master inside a small bore, so if master was sticking you would then have slop when pushing down pedal before it starts braking.
If the brakes still hang up after pulling up on pedal you could have a bad master sticking in its bore. so if you have no slop after pulling up master is okay.
If brakes still grab after pulling up and you have no or very little slack you have rubber brake lines collapsed.
there are 4 rubber hoses one to each wheel they would need to be replaced.
If you could figure out which wheel was sticking you could replace just that one but the rest will soon fail.
If you have questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
I'm usually around during daytime hours.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see,
smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same
A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took
to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me
know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks
spanky