Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Have a dometic electric awning on a 2010 winnabago motohome.

Customer Question

Have a dometic electric awning on a 2010 winnabago motohome. Was damaged when I forgot to retract and eased into a tree. Repaired but comes in slow and some times blows the breaker. I can push in on the arm and it works better. The motor was replaced with a A&E motor when repaired. Is there a chance they put the wrong size motor in? Any input as to what to do would help. Jack
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Sorry for the delay, I see no other experts have responded.
I would make sure the awning fabric is aligned properly on the roller tube and it is going straight. IF the fabric was was not centered the awning motor might work harder. What you can try is on the top awning rail you will see some screws going into the rail that will hold the fabric in place, the fabric gets slid on then the screws installed. Remove the screws and try running the awning, if the fabric was under stress that might re-center the fabric when the screws are out, you can also try and move the fabric about 1" each way have someone push on the center of the awning tube with it extended so the fabric is not tight and then pull the fabric up near the awning rail (with screws removed) see if you can get it to run better. I do not think there is a different motor however in 2013 these was a recall on some motors, I would not think a shop would put in a motor that was affected by the recall but I have seen some strange things over the years. IF you can not get it to run better by adjusting the fabric I would have a shop take a look at this... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert