Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

How do I R&R a 1986 454 from a pace arrow?

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thanks for requesting me.
The engine can be done either way - out the top, or out the bottom.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Dropping the front axle requires a bit more work - and a lot more room. It also requires more equipment. But it does allow you to remove the entire engine without any dismantling. If going this route, you will also need a front end alignment when done.
If coming out the top, often you have to remove manifolds and heads before it will come up through the doghouse, or out the door.
Unless you have friends named Superman, Lou Ferigno, Arnold Schwartznegger, and Bubba (he is there just so you don't have to lift anything yourself), you will need to construct some type of hoist that will reach in through the door and reach all the way to the doghouse.
Going this route leaves you much more susceptible to doing damage inside the coach (grease stains, torn carpet, holes in the wall etc).
This is not an easy job by any means, and is the reason so few RV shops will even do it.
.