Larry Welch
Larry Welch,
Experience:  Master RV Tech at Hickory RV
81671807

We have an Onan propane generator on a 2007 Leisure Travel

Customer Question

We have an Onan propane generator on a 2007 Leisure Travel Camper Van (2006 Mercedes Sprinter Chassis). The generator starts OK but runs rough and loud, including under load. Your thoughts?
Category: RV
Expert:  Larry Welch replied 1 year ago.
Hi Larry here. Here are some items to check, adequate propane, primary regulator, secondary regulator, fuel filter, fuel shut-off valve. This should give you a start. If any of this helps you, please take time to rate. If you need more info, please contact me and we will go further. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Larry! Thanks for your response. Would any of the above require actually removing the generator from the 2007 Leisure Travel Camper Van to check the items you mentioned?
No Sir. I would first check if I had LP before the valve on the gen and then work back.
I guess I should have asked this sooner, does any other gas appliances work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, our propane stove and furnace works well. To my ear the rough sound is similar to a gasoline engine that is out of tune because of a fouled spark plug, bad fuel, clogged fuel filter, out of time, etc. I've never been around a propane generator so this is new territory for me. The repair facility wants to charge 1 hour's labor to remove, 1.5 hours to diagnose, and 1 hour to re-install. This does not include actually fixing anything. Know of any independent Class B techs in North San Diego county?
Hi again. Actually this sounds very cheap. I would be suspicious. I would go for fuel filter first. It is the least expensive and does hurt to replace it. Let me know if I can help you further. Don't forget to rate. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything other than what you've already written that that can be checked out PRIOR to removing the generator, like the spark plug?
Hi Larry here again. You can change the plug but I think the issue is deeper than that. They should be able to give a "ball park" estimate of what is wrong or what they suspect. That system works really close to a gas system, it is using liquid LP instead of gas. Just remember that it turns to vapor when exposed to atmospheric pressure. That is what makes it so dangerous.