Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

Genorator on voltage camper isn't charging battery or the camper

Customer Question

Genorator on voltage camper isn't charging battery or the camper but is running fine
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi so as I understand it the generator is putting out voltage, however the batteries are not charging, is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah the on board genorator is running fine but not powering the camper lights just the outlets. And the water pump is not working properly do to the camper just running off of the battery? How I know this is the lights go dim and the camper isn't getting power from genorator 100 percent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And to your question is yes
thanks, ***** ***** your having is that the converter which charges the batteries is not working, you need to locate it and test it, it can be part of the distribution panel, or a stand alone unit, which is screwed onto the floor, and plugged into an outlet . take a look and tell me what you see, if you can give me a model number , I can be more specific....Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is it that the battery is dead after three days of being parked there must be a slow voltage loss or draw somewhere in the camper correct I've owned the camper for a year now and the dealer can't find the problem
it could be a bad battery, or a draw, it always depends on the charge state of the battery before you get started. A draw can be located by the process of elimination, follow the circuit from the battery once you detect the draw ( a test light or amprobe) Lets start with the charge source for the battery. the converter, do you have a voltmeter? and have you located it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help were saying f**kit and drinking
alright then,,,,,,,,enjoy your day, the other thing you can do until you look into the problem is use an external battery charger and keep it hooked up to the battery, use the generator to power it up, I'll be here if you decide to go further, thanks, please rate me so I receive credit for out work together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep that what we did short term fix
I'll be here when you have the time to continue, Michael