Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

Gen keeps shutting down.Error code 36 have changed fuel pump

Customer Question

gen keeps shutting down.Error code 36 have changed fuel pump fuel filter and low oil sensor. Still shutting down
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
How long has it been since this unit was run regularly?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two weeks ago. Attached is a picture of model info
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
7HGJAE-2132E
First lets check the pump operation and fuel lines.
To do the test, remove the fuel line from the carburetor. It will be necessary to cut the crimp-type hose clamp.
Place the fuel line in and empty container.
Press and hold the 'STOP/PRIME' button for about 10 seconds.
When you first press the button, there will be a 3 second delay before the fuel pump activates.
When the fuel pump does activate, it should make a faint 'humming' sound. It should not make a loud 'clacking' sound. A loud 'clacking' sound indicates that there is air in the pump, and can indicate either a faulty pump, or no/not enough fuel getting to the pump.
There should be an immediate strong, steady flow of fuel in a pulsing flow.
If there is no fuel flow, or if the flow seems very weak and thready, locate the fuel supply line.
The fuel line attaches to the fuel filter, and the fuel filter is screwed directly into the pump, which is located underneath the front left corner of the genset.
Remove the supply line from the filter, and attach a length of fuel hose to the filter.
Place the end of the hose into a gas can.
Now press and hold the 'STOP/PRIME' button again, for about 10 seconds.
If you still do not get sufficient fuel flow, the pump is bad and needs to be replaced.
If you now get good fuel flow, but did not on the first test, either your coach is low on gas (there must be at least 1/4 tank for the set to run), or the fuel lines between the tank and genset are bad.
.
If the pump is working good, then the problem will be a bad carburetor.
As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.
This condition is cumulative. Every time gas sits, the varnish builds up just a little more, like coats of paint, until eventually gas can not flow. It will not happen overnight, but the symptoms can show up all of a sudden, even while simply stopping to refill with gas.
The use of fuel additives, such as Sta-Bil or Sea Foam will not stop this process from happening. They will greatly slow it down, but the gas will still go bad.
When this happens, either the engine simply will not start, or it will not run without the choke on (this reduces the amount of air getting pulled into the engine, changing the fuel/air mixture), or it will run but surges.
Another issue that varnish in the carb can cause is that the varnish may not allow the float needle to seal properly against the seat, causing the flow of gas to not shut off when the bowl is full. The result will be gas overflowing the carb and running into the cylinder, and possibly out the air intake. If the gas gets into the cylinder, it will seep past the rings and down into the crankcase. This will be evidenced by your oil level being over-full and/or the oil smelling like gas.
If this is the case, you will need to change the oil and filter, if it has a filter.
The only 2 solutions are to either replace the carburetor or give it a good, thorough cleaning.
When removing the carb, make sure to take a good picture, or make a good drawing of where all springs and linkages are attached. This will make reassembly much easier.
Most people believe that cleaning a carb involves removing the bowl and wiping it out, then spraying some carb cleaner through it.
This is simply insufficient. It takes months or years for this accumulation to build up – it just can not be removed in minutes.
To properly clean the carb, you must remove it, disassemble it (making sure to remove all non-metal parts), and soak it in a commercial solvent for several hours. Soaking it overnight is even better.
Then clean all solvent off with a spray type carb cleaner, making sure to get lots of cleaner into every hole and passage there is. Pay special attention to the tiny holes in the bore of the carb, under the throttle plate for the carbs that have these holes. Use lots of cleaner. And make sure to wear safety goggles to avoid getting the over spray into your eyes. There will be over spray.
Dry the carb with low pressure compressed air.
This is an EPA compliant carburetor, and as such, is not supposed to be taken apart or adjusted.
When you have an issue with it, you are supposed to replace the entire carb.
But, sometimes it is possible to clean them. Just remember, that as an EPA compliant carb, there are no parts available for it, so if you lose or break anything, you will definitely need to get a new one.
Occasionally, even a good cleaning is not going to be sufficient, and you may end up having to replace the carb anyhow. Be prepared for this.
Personally, I do not recommend trying to clean this carb. I recommend replacement.
If for some odd reason this does not help, please let me know so I can assist you further.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it has taken so long to get an answer that I removed the unit from the truck. As I stated earlier the fuel filter and pump are all new. They were just replaced within the last couple of days. This unit runs 8hrs a day 5 days a week it is used to power video inspection equipment for sewer and drain lines. I had planned on taking it to a dealer on Monday. Any thoughts if pump and filter have been replaced. Fuel in truck is always topped off
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
You most likely have a bad carburetor, but it is possible you have a bad fuel line in the truck.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How difficult to replace carb. Dealer can't look at it till Wednesday. I've replaced everything else might just try the replacement myself
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Changing the carb is not hard at all. You wouldn't have even needed to have taken the genset out to change it.
Just pay special attention to how the governor linkage is all connected, so you can get it put back correctly.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also noticed that when I took unit off truck and removed the green housing the voltage regulator had two wires not connected. The wires and prongs where there just not connected. No way they were removed. Is this supposed to be like this. There was one wire connected
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
A lot of these units come with the voltage regulator disconnected. It is not needed in an RV application, so when needed in a commercial application, it has to be requested to have it connected.
The VR is only for battery charging, and your unit should have a sticker on the front that says "Battery charger is disconnected".
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will replace the carb and fuel line and run it in shop for a while
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
.