Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 chevrolet suburban with ZW7 Nivomat rear suspension

Customer Question

I have a 2003 chevrolet suburban with ZW7 Nivomat rear suspension can I tow a 1969 27" Overlander Airstream with the vintage hitch and stabilizing bars? In doing research how do I overcome the self leveling of the rear suspension I read the self leveling unit was a no no.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I set the pressure to absolute minimums in the rear shocks...trailer is at a tire shop ...got new tires and had bearings looked at...is that something they would be familiar with possibly?...travelling from Memphis, TN to Heber Springs, AR...picking up Airstream then back again....get it done here prior and how much does that cost?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
This system is designed to always maintain the correct rear ride height on and off road, loaded and when towing. When towing there should be no need to disable the system since it will control the rear vehicle squat from the tongue weight. Yes you can tow this RV with this suspension setup. Most owners like it. If you want to disable the system you can turn it off though I am confident you will dislike the ride, towing or not.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vintage airstream hitch set up is a load equalizing system and it is my understanding that the Nivomat auto leveling would defeat the purpose of the load equalizing bars and that the pressure in the rear suspension of my suburban should be set at 15 to 20 psi and I have no clue how to do that or disable it ... I read that it is incorrect to allow the auto leveling to adjust tongue weight because when hitch set up is adjusted correctly the weight will be distributed equally on the tires front and back of towing vehicle and tires of airstream....that is why they say to minimize auto leveling which I still don't know what that entails.
Dana
On your drive to the RV your suspension will adjust once and stay there the rest of the trip. When you connect the RV the suspension will adjust one more time. No different than going to Lowes and get 8 bags of mulch in the rear of the vehicle. Once it adjusts to correct the ride height its not going to keep going up and down. The leveling system can not adjust tongue weight. The weight in the trailer, being in front or rear or above the axle does that. You can change tongue weight by simply moving suitcase from the front of the RV to the rear. To disable the system you would remove the air suspension relay under the hood.