Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have an Atwood gas/electric water heater in my motothome.

Customer Question

I have an Atwood gas/electric water heater in my motothome. The electric is working fine, but the gas fires off runs for about 5 seconds and shuts down, it does this 3 times and then shuts off until you turn off and on again at the panel, and then the cycle repeats. Any ideas?
Ken
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
First off I would blow out the burner tube really good, sometimes debris and bugs can get inside. Next I would soak the gas orifice in alcohol. Pull the connector on the circuit board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, sometimes that can be a weak link.
After that it could be a few things, on the tank you should have a eco and T-stat. What you can try next is to bypass the T-stat and see if it stays running, if so bad T-stat. IF you get the same results then it could be the electrode or circuit board. Make sure the electrode is about 1/8" over the burner tuber and the ceramic on the electrode is not cracked. I might replace the electrode as well, if you still have the same issue bad circuit board. Most RV shops do have a special tester to see if the board is bad.... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert