Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I'm a workamper at Jellystone Park in Waller, Texas. I

Customer Question

I’m a workamper at Jellystone Park in Waller, Texas.
I have a 1995 Fleetwood Southwind with an electrical problem.
I have a 30 amp set up.
At different times the electrical power will just stop. Not from any overload as it will stop in the middle of the night with just fans going.
Before I have turned off the internal breakers and gone out to the pedestal and turn the 30 amp breaker on and off. (it did not trip) My surge protector says electricity is going thru. The hard wiring into the RV is good.
I go back in, turn on the internal breaker and the power comes back on. Sometimes…. Most times until now. One time I kicked (lightly) the internal breaker panel and the lights flickered and then the power came on.
But now, I get nothing.
The 12 volt system works fine still. I have strong lights and water pump etc. The auxillary batteries are strong. I have been hooked up since March.
All fuses are working
Setup: (I do have jpeg’s of all these if you want me to send them to you)
Converter/ Charger :
Magnetek Series 900 – Model 950 50 amp
Automatic Line/ Generator switch
Model ATS 301 30A tungsten, 30A Ballast
Rated 120 VAC, 50/60 Hz.
I don’t know how to use a meter that tells you what is hot and not. Although, I have one.
Two years ago while in the oil patch gate guarding I had the same problem, however, I replaced the Model ATS 301 cause that plastic clear module was burnt on the inside. System did work.
It doesn’t look like this one is burnt though.
All the internal breakers are strong and have never tripped during this period.
How should I go about hunting the culprit. Do you want pictures?
Thanks
Steve
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Sounds like a loose connection or an issue with that transfer switch, the incoming AC power will go through the transfer switch to the breaker panel, IF you have AC voltage in and out of the transfer switch it is good. IF you have no AC power going out then it has failed.
The other concern is when you kicked the panel and it started working that tells me maybe a possible loose connection at the breaker panel if you have AC voltage in and out of the transfer switch I would isolate the AC power and check all your connections at the breaker panel, make sure all the lugs and grounds are tight behind the panel.... Hope this helps some... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will got there. Will let you know.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good... Robert