gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I just got a dometic rm 3801 3-way fridge. AC causes system

Customer Question

hi- i just got a dometic rm 3801 3-way fridge. AC causes system to "gurgle". Disconnect AC and propane ignites (and gurgles). Unit has temp equality between boiler and absorber. However....no cooling - in fact, the freezer gets hot. Help! Thanks-john
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
sorry to give you bad news , the cooling unit is blocked, thats the gurgling you hear , the fluid is just boiling, and not circulating the hot freezer confirms the diag. you will need to replace the cooling unit to resolve your issue. However there is a procedure you can try, its called tumbling take the refer out, place it on its side, and briskly beat on the coils of the cooling unit, let rest a bit, then turn to top, repeat, other side repeat, back to bottom repeat, do this a couple of times, then see if it cools... It works occasionally.......................please get back to me for clarification, Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thought the "gurgling" sound indicated that the ammonia was being boiled/vaporized. Also, I understood that if the absorber and the boiler were the same temp (but higher that surrounding air) that the unit was functioning correctly. The sound is like that of coffee perking in a pot.

you wont hear that sound when its circulating properly.