Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Please help lighting strike at rv park. Triped three breakers

Customer Question

Please help lighting strike at rv park. Triped three breakers in camper & the one out side. Reset all breakers no light no Ac no hot water. The red light that come on to light hot water don't come on. Figured out the converter was out. Replace the converter light work now. But no AC or red light to light hot water heater. Checked all fuses and breakers are all good.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
What is the make and model of the RV?
When you say no AC are you missing all the AC power?
Thanks, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 Pilgrim, it's a fema camper. There's no air conditioner. My camper was struck by lightning and the air conditioner, lights and water heater wouldn't come on. I've replaced the converter and the only thing it fixed was the lights.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
In one sentence you say there is no air conditoner and in the next you say it's not coming on? need to clear that up...
IF you are plugged into power will any of the outlets work? I am trying to figure out if you are missing the AC power, or the problem is on the DC side. The power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage it should also charge the battery if you have one installed.
When lighting hits a RV the damage can go beyond the converter. SO I think the best one to see if that is the case is the water heater, what is the make and model of it?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power going to the air conditioner, it won't come on.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
What is the make and model of the water heater? That would be the best one to look at first... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Atwood is the male model is G10-3E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Make*
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
What we need to do is go to the outside access panel and find the circuit board. You will see a brown wire going to the thermostat and to the circuit board on that wire will be a clear shield which is a one time high limit fuse. Make sure it is not blown. The next step would be to remove the connector from the circuit board and see if you have power on the harness. If you have power and it is not sparking then I would have the board tested, most RV shops have a special tester. Possible the board got damaged during the strike. Same applies to the AC unit, it will also have a circuit board inside of it. IF you have DC voltage and AC voltage at the AC unit then that board could be bad.
The AC unit and water heater circuit boards both require DC voltage..... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I access the circuit board for the AC unit on the inside of the trailer or the outside?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Thats a good question, on some you remove the inside cover, look up and you will see a metal box with a bunch of wires on it. On others it is under the shroud on the roof.
One thing I want to mention is if the AC unit was on when the strike occurred I would also inspect the capacitors, they will be under the shroud on the roof, they will be round cylinders with wires, do not touch them as they store energy but make sure all the wires are not melted. Robert