Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Cheverolet Travel World: Having trouble with a 1970 RV with

Customer Question

Having trouble with a 1970 RV with a 454 vapor locking, I've done everything I can think of, and it's still doing this. It ran all day 70-75MPH, pulling a trailer over hills, no trouble, then all the sudden, it decided it was going to vapor lock and sputtered for 45 minutes all the way back home.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant 1980 Travel World, not 1970
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is this a carbureted or fuel injected engine?
Why do you believe it's vapor locking?
Is it really hot where you are?
Where are you actually and what is the temperature?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
On carbureted engines, since there isn't much fuel pressure, I like to install a clear fuel filter just before the carb so I can see the gas in the filter. When it vapor locks you will see air bubbles in the fuel filter because the gasoline boils because of the heat. A weak fuel pump can also contribute to vapor lock problems. I believe vapor locking was the the reason they moved the fuel pumps to the rear or vehicles and then actually in the fuel tank so the fuel pump pushed the gasoline along instead of having to suck the gasoline out of the tank, through a fuel line until it finally reached the fuel pump. If all else fails, just find a fuel tank with a fuel pump in it and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you can dial down the fuel pressure, if it is infact a carb engine.