Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

After sitting disconnected all winter, the electrical system

Customer Question

After sitting disconnected all winter, the electrical system on my 2003 Keystone Cougar 286 is not functional and I cannot move the two slides out. I am connected to a live 110 V line but no power apparently is getting to the slide motors, lights, etc.
Is there a breaker or fuse other than in the DC converter box?
I can't get to the end of the main electrical line at its entry to see if connections are OK because the slides are blocking that end.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Harold Cook ***@******.***
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Are you missing all the DC and AC power inside? The DC side would be the lights, furnace, water pump etc.... The AC side would be the outlets, microwave etc..
Thanks, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been using battery supply for some time.
None of the electrical components are working - lights, plugs, microwave, slide motors.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, so if you had AC power and NO DC power could be the power converter. Since you have NO AC power then the power converter can not work and make the DC power.
So my next question is do you have a generator and are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a certified adaptor connector to the main AC inlet line into the trailer and a short extension line from the main direct 110 supply - no generator involved. Power is getting to the end of the short extension cord connected to the RV power inlet line.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
The incoming power should go from the shore cord directly to the main breaker panel inside. IF you have no power at the main breaker then it has to be an issue with the cord. I would suggest to try plugging in direct if possible with no adapters or extension cords sometimes they can fail. I am not aware if they are using any junction boxes from where the cord comes in to the breaker panel in the RV. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pretty sure that the extension is OK but will try again tomorrow as today my time has gone. Unfortunately I can't get to the inside point of the entry to check a junction box ( seems unlikely to have been altered) because the slides are blocking the inside access. The main breakers are mid section and accessible and are OK.
Pretty much limits it to the entry and connections between to the main power converter panel.
Any suggestions as to how to get the slides out manually so I can get to the back end entry wall?Will follow up tomorrow.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Are the rooms electric meaning you have an electric motor, not hydraulic?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with the specifics of this model?
The slides work on a ratchet gear driven by an electric motor for each of the two slides. These are not receiving power so I need to move the slides out manually to access the power entry.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
I have worked on many, many different RV'S and they are all different in a sense. IF you have an electric motor for the slide room then I would try and jump the motor direct and it should want to run in or out, swap the jumper leads and it will run the other way. On some motors they also have a handle on the end of the motor, you dis-engage the handle and it allows you to run the room in and out.
My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert
I threw my back out yesterday and could not follow up with your suggestion today. Incidentally, I thought of the same approach to getting the slides out late last night. Hopefully I can try the first of next week and will do the rating after that.
Thanks so far.
Harold
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, take your time, I am around daily and respond when you can.... Hope you feel better soon... Robert