Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 1999 Country Coach Magna. Ran generator today for

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Country Coach Magna. Ran generator today for 4 hours driving to the beach. Hooked up to shore power and all worked well for about 20 minutes. Then power was reduced and AC started making strange noises. So onboard computer said reversed polarity. Cut everything off and cut off breakers at power box. Seemed to work fine, display showed all well, but when we got back from beach display showed voltage but nothing AC was getting power. So reset breaker and Todd Eng power switch making loud chatter. Disconnected from shore power and started generator. Voltage showed 120V on both legs, but no power getting out. Basement displays in shore power jumping around from 110v to 200's v. Is this a bad power switch or what. With holiday weekend , don't know what to do. Motor home is hot w/o air conditioning. Thx, David
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...

This is what I would do to start, shut all the breakers OFF inside, unplug from power, go to the inverter and shut it down, make sure no breakers are tripped on the inverter. Go plug back in, turn the breaker ON and the inverter and see if power is restored.

It very well could be the transfer switch. Need to check voltage coming in and out of the switch, if it is determined the power source is good what you can try and do is bypass the transfer switch but you will also have to disconnect the generator side so if the generator started it will not cause damage. Check all your connections at the TS and and main breaker panel... Hope this helps some... Robert