gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I just read this water heater problem with the 2003 keystone

Customer Question

I just read this water heater problem with the 2003 keystone Hornet from 4 years ago. I have an 02 with the identical problem. No hot water at faucet. It is both propane and electric. There is a black lighted switch in kitchen and a regular white on/off switch in kitchen not far from it. There is one bypass valve in water line on water heater and it is inline or "parallel" to the water line. Is it in bypass mode? Or is bypass mode position prpendicular to the water line?Can you help me please? Also there is a black on/ off switch next to water heater inside the unit below the rear bunk beds. What does that control? Can you please help me?
Thank you,
Jim
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, normally the bypass when in use (winterized) is parallel to the line allowing water to flow from the cold water line to the hot, there should also be other valves that shut of water from entering the water heater. As the knobs come off easily, and can be put back on in any direction, this is not always true. as far as the switch, cant be sure what that is, does the water heater work on electric from the on white switch? please get back to me thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don`t really know because how long would it take the element to warm the water? The breaker is on and I read that you should not have both gas and electric on at the same time. So right now the white switch is on and the black remote is off.
it takes about 1/2 hour to heat the water, running the heater on both is not dangerous, as each element (gas/electric) has its own thermostat, and shuts it off. So work on the valves and lets get the water flowing, or run it on gas to get it hot.....thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I mentioned no hot water at faucet I meant to say it has water but it`s cold.
thanks, ***** ***** deffinate symptom of the bypass being in the wrong direction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much. I`ll see what happens.
jim
thanks let me know......Michael