Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My 2012 Monaco Diplomat has water leaking from the compartments

Customer Question

My 2012 Monaco Diplomat has water leaking from the compartments above the passenger seat. It only happens when the bus is facing downward like going down a steep hill. At the same time I also saw water coming from the outside light. Where can this be coming from
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert..
Where is the outside light located, is it on the side above the passenger seat or it is on the front cap area?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just outside and above the window next to the passenger seat. The water that comes out is very clear and there are no signs of wood rot inside the bus. This happened last year and I had the roof re sealed and I thought that corrected the problem.
This is our first trip this season and the amount of water coming out both inside and outside was significant We soaked (and wrang out) 5 orange towels, so id estimate about 30+ oz of water.
There are cabinets above the passenger seat 2 on the right side of the bus and 1 in the front. All 3 had water coming out as well as water coming out from around the porch light. My thought is this accumulated someplace throughout the winter and once we start moving and facing downhill, the water drains. As mentioned it only happens when the front of the bus is facing downhill. We are camping now and level and there is no water. I'm sure when we leave next week and go down hills the water will start to drain again (until all drained).
Thanks for the help
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Water leaks can be difficult to track down, as you are finding out first hand, the water can travel very far and get out where ever it can.
SO I would start on the roof at the back check all the sealant again, make sure there are no cracks or voids in it. Check any awning rails that are on the side of the RV, sometimes the water will pool on top of the rails and travel. The lights are always a concern, where the wires come through should be sealed, I have seen that before with the porch light and the over the door awning if the holes are not sealed, same for the clearance lights.
The procedure in the shop is to simulate a rain event in small area at a time while inspecting inside. What I do to make it a one person show it zip tie a garden hose to a 6 or 8' ladder and then spray areas a little at a time until the leak shows up, it can be time consuming but usually works. In your case I would do this with the front end lowered, you should be able to raise the rear and dump the front to get it downhill.
IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert