Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

After replacing the battery on my Keystone Cougar 5th wheel,

Customer Question

After replacing the battery on my Keystone Cougar 5th wheel, I am getting a clicking noise from the panel just about the battery and I have no lights or 12v functionality in the camper.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
Do you have a disconnect switch inside near the entry door that cuts power to the 5th wheel?
Are you plugged into shore power?
Do you have a volt meter?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is a disconnect switch. It is located in the side compartment where my cable tv hook up is. Yes, I am currently hooked to shore power. Yes, I have a volt meter.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
This might take some going back and forth, first off how many batteries do you have just one 12 volt? I assume you hooked the cables up correctly?
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one battery and yes, they are hooked up correctly.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
Follow the battery cable and see if it is going to an auto breaker or a solenoid, I suspect it would possibly be what is clicking. The auto breaker is normally 18" from the battery and it will have two posts on it, the voltage to chassis ground should be the same or close on each post. IF you google shortstop breaker you can see what it looks like.
IF you have a switch to turn the power on and off you should have a solenoid, you hit the switch and the solenoid will click and allow power into the RV, again follow the cables and see if they are going to a solenoid. Once you find the solenoid check voltage on the large posts on the solenoid, if you have voltage on one side and not the other get an insulated wire and jump the posts to see if power comes on, if so bad solenoid.
I am going off of possible items that could make a clicking sound, you might not have the shortstop breaker, normally they put on one the cable from the converter to the battery..
Also I failed to ask do you have AC power inside the RV? is the microwave and outlets working?
Robert