Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

On an atwood 6 gal, gas only water heater. It won't shut down

Customer Question

On an atwood 6 gal, gas only water heater. It won't shut down on high temp. Relief valve will open. Replaced high and low temp sensors, no change. Replaced circuit board , no change. Turns on ok.
Could the cabin switch have anything to do with it?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
IF you replaced the high limit cut out and circuit board it should be shutting down. I doubt the cabin switch has anything to do with it as the high limit should blow and stop the power to the circuit board. Have you tried a new pressure relief valve? If not I would try a new one, sometimes they can get weak and open up before the high limit trips. IF you still need more help please get me the model number of the Atwood...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will try that next..
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem, Also I might flush the tank out really good when you have the pressure relief out, put the plug in the bottom and stick a garden hose where the pressure relief goes and flush it out a few times, make sure you do not have a bunch of scale build up as it could cause the water heater to heat faster then normal.
IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, also feel free to follow up if needed...
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just ran the water heater and water temp was 180 plus. Model no g6a - 8e
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
This is not making any sense, the ECO or cut off should trip at 170... Make sure it is flush on the tank, I might also get a reading on the tank where it sits, it should be shutting down. IF the tank had a bunch of scale build up maybe it would not sense the proper temp. I also might have the LP pressure checked out at the water heater to make sure it is in range. Also the water heater is designed to have an air pocket, so the water can expand. To restore the air pocket...
Step 1: Turn off water heater
Step 2: Turn off incoming water supply
Step 3: Open the closest hot water faucet in the coach
Step 4: Pull handle of pressure-temperature relief valve straight out and allow water to flow until it stops.
Step 5: Allow pressure-temperature relief valve to snap shut, turn on water supply and close faucet..
Go to the back of the tank as well and verify the valves are in the proper position, if water was not getting in the tank fast enough then it might heat up really fast but then again the ECO should trip at 170....
This one is a head scratcher for sure... Robert