Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My camper is plugged in(110 ) and I just turned the furnace

Customer Question

My camper is plugged in(110 ) and I just turned the furnace on for the first time this yr. my propane alarm is screaming at me!! No smell of gas.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert....
A few ideas for you, first off if it came on as soon as the blower motor started I would be checking your battery voltage, these detectors are sensitive to lower voltage and it will make them go off when the voltage is low.
Also the detector could be losing it's ability to sense properly, if the battery voltage is good then I would replace the detector, they really should be replaced every couple of years anyway. IF the new detector goes off then I would have a RV shop check the LP system out with a manometer and do a leak down test to see if you have a leak. I might also access the back of the furnace if you have a panel and check the LP line connector, spray some children's bubbles on the connection point and see if it bubbles. My feelings are if the detector goes off and on with turning the furnace on it could be voltage related.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery isn't even in the camper. It is running off 110 only. The alarm only shuts off when power is disconnected. After I kill power and restart, the alarm will beep occasionally as long as the furnace is not on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it actually is the propane wouldn't the sensor go off on power up?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
IF that is the case then I would be checking how much voltage the converter is putting out.
Yes the detector should go off as soon as it senses the presence of LP if it is weak or bad then it could go off.
My feelings are since you do not smell LP it could be when you turn the furnace ON it is pulling more amps as the motor is running causing the voltage to drop. What you might want to try for troubleshooting is leave the furnace OFF and then turn on all the lights, run the water pump, water heater etc and see if it goes off again.
I can not count the number of times walking into the shop hearing these going off because they were not plugged into power. In your case it could be the converter is not putting out enough voltage.
I hope all this makes sense. Robert