gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a Atwood 8531 camper furnace, I'm using it first

Customer Question

I have a Atwood 8531 camper furnace, I'm using it for the first time this year and when I turned it on last night I worked great tell 1:00 AM, know what is happening is the burner lights up for approx 10 seconds then shuts off. It does this three times in a row then goes into alarm, any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, are you dry camping or on shore power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a power generator if that helps
thanks, ***** ***** I ask is if you are not plugged into shore power, and using battery power only, I am looking at the battery voltage in the middle of the night. as low voltage can cause this situation. The fan on the furnace draws 7amps which is alot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We left the generator on all night and the fan runs it just the burner at shuts off
thanks, ***** ***** the condition of the batteries? the reason I ask is that we need to insure the batteries have good cells. the batteries filter out the sine wave included in the converter output, and can make the electronics on the furnace not function properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Batteries are good, everything else works properly
thanks, ***** ***** want to check for anything in the exhaust tube. open the door and remove the exhaust tube, and make sure there is nothing (wasp nest ect) you will see a butterfly nut on the right, loosen it and the tube assy will slide forward. also if you have an air compressor, blow out the furnace....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked that as well thanks for your help I'll figure it out.
your welcome