Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have 2009 Keystone Raptor. I found that my stereo circuit

Customer Question

I have 2009 Keystone Raptor. I found that my stereo circuit has a short in it after hearing a buzzing sound coming from my dist panel (or converter). So I pulled the fuse and the noise stopped. Now my generator will not charge my batteries, the dist panel (or converter) is buzzing when hooked to shore power and when I hit the main power cutoff all of my lights and Equipment stay on. It doesn't cut the power off. Could this be the converter or is something else fried?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Do you have a main cutoff switch inside or near the battery? This might take some going back and forth... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do Robert. When I'm on shore power and I cut the power on the main everything is still powered up. All DC and AC. Just weird. You can also text me if it's easier.(###) ###-####
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
Be easier to respond here... You may have two separate issues.
The lights not going off, when you hit the switch inside it should trigger a solenoid, you should hear a click each time you hit that switch, sometimes the solenoid can fail and when it sticks it can cause the power to stay on OR the power not come on at all. Follow the battery cables and it will lead to the solenoid, give it a few taps on the side, sometimes that will unseat the relay.
The converter also could be at fault if it is making a buzzing noise. When you are plugged into power or have the generator going the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage, it should also charge the battery. Go to the battery and follow the cables, look for an in line fuse or breaker. The breaker would have two posts on it and most have a tine tab that pops out on the side of it when it trips. Normally they stick them 18" from the battery and the voltage should be the same or very close on each post. I would also have the battery load tested, if the battery had a shorted cell or was in poor condition it could cause the power converter to work extra hard.
I would also check the connections on the back of the fuses as well, make sure everything is tight and no wires are touching each other...
Hope this helps some, also was wondering where in OR are you located? I am in the same area code.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awesome! Thanks Robert. I'll check those items. The bateries are brand new interstates both reading 12.7 volts. That's the weird thing. The gen seems to be charging them intermittently as when I use a volt gauge they are reading 12.7 at the batteries. When I cut the main power switch they also read full on the RV meter (even though the switch isn't cutting my power) However, when I turn the main power switch on the RV meter reads 1/2. I check my batteries and they are still 12.7. it just seems that the voltage is not being distributed. I live in Madras by the way. Lol
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
OK
Check things out and then get back to me if needed, I am around daily and respond when I can.... I am near Eugene, Walton....
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. Thanks Robert.
Love Eugene by the way. Used to live over in Roseburg myself. Came here for a project about 10 years ago, met the wife, bought a house and some land, had a little girl and now we're all just making history. However it would be really historic if I could go camping without some idiotic issue popping up. Lol. Just happy I had the gen and a battery charger with me.
Thanks for the help. I'll get back to you tomorrow Robert.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good...
Robert