Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 99 Damon Challenger class A mh with approx. 25K miles,

Customer Question

I have a 99 Damon Challenger class A mh with approx. 25K miles, I can hear a rotational thumping noise when starting out from a stop. Its not real loud and sort of vanishes when up to highway speed. Have read it could be a tire(s) with a flat spot from sitting but also told steel belted tires wont get flat spots? Could it be a bearing or drive train issue?
Thanks
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Tires possibly could cause this but so could the drive line, I might check your drive line and lube any fittings that are on the drive line, some units are sealed but many will have Zerk fittings. I also might look at the rear differential and change the fluid out if it has been a long time. On the drain plug it should have a magnet and you do not want any chunks on the plug, some very small shavings would be fine. Also I might get a small bottle and get a sample, most chassis dealers can test the sample and look for iron or other metals to see if something is going on with that. After that I would have a shop take a look and test drive the unit. Sometimes a lap top can be used with sensors to pin point the exact location of the noise but this can take multiple test drives... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...
Also you want to verify the tires on the RV with the federal id tag inside, it will tell you the tire size and proper pressures, you really should follow that tag and the guidelines for tire size and PSI....
Robert