Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

RandallI am renovating my 1997 Jayco pull behind camper.

Customer Question

Hello Randall
I am renovating my 1997 Jayco pull behind camper. I have removed Thoth the LP fridge and LP water heater ..Also removed the black and grey water holding tanks. I need to move the camper and hooked up my truck ..but have no lights or electric brakes on the camper. I am now hooked up to 30 AMP service and all the electrical receptacles work ..but no lights or water pump action. how can I get DC back.
Thanks,
Ed Shackelford
***-***-****
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
Sorry for the delay Randall has not been around for some time....
When you are plugged into power the power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage, it should also charge the battery. So this could be an issue with the power converter, battery or cables. I would start and check the battery cables make sure they are clean and tight, follow the cables and make sure you do not have a tripped breaker. Sometimes on the charge line from the converter they will use a breaker, as a general rule it would be 18" from battery, it will have two posts on it and the DC voltage should be the same on each side. Some are thermal and some have a small tab that pops out. You also might have more then one so check them all if you see them.
The other issue is the power converter. The power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. On the stand alone unit it will have two fuses on it. Normally it is close to the breaker panel, under the fridge, stove etc.
Also on the tow plug follow the smaller wires and see if there is a fuse. Verify the tow vehicle plug is working with a test light, check the trailer end connector as well....
IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because the wiring has been removed from the LP fridge and LP Water heater ..does this not have an effect on the 12v system? For example, all my receptacles work fine on AC which I am plugged into now ..but when the lights and AC are turned on the AC circuit breaker trips immediately. I checked all DC fuses and all are ok. Everything worked fine until I removed the LP water Heater, The LP Fridge and the holding tanks ..all of which had apparent DC power wiring also. Now ..not one light, the Water Pump or the AC will work . Any ideas ? Thanks for any direction ..Ed
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK
IF you are missing ALL the DC power then I would be looking at the power converter as a possible issue..... You can have AC power and not the DC power if the converter has failed. Power supply from the converter should go right to the fuse panel inside.... IF the fuses have power then it is possible that the wiring could be the problem if they have other 12 volt circuits tied into it.....
Robert