gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

My Norcold fridge is starting to power off and on on its own.

Customer Question

My Norcold fridge is starting to power off and on on its own. When i open the door the inside light flickers as well.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
Hi, please give me the model number of the refrigerator, thank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Norcold N811 I believe

Thanks, ***** ***** flickering is interesting, we need to determine whether it is the power to the refrigerator or the power board that is causing this problem. First I would go to the back of the refrigerator, open the door, and make sure the connections to the refer from the coach are good, then take the cover off of the control module, (plastic box where all of the wire go) and unplug, and replug all of the wires, and connectors. When this is happening, I need you to take your voltmeter to the back of the refrigerator, and test at the connection to the refer, then the 12volt power on the board, when you do the test, unplug the 110vac at the plug , rear of refer. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I won't be back to it until later this afternoon

Thanks, ***** ***** to me when your ready, Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks

Please leave this unanswered until you are ready, each time you respond, I must respond also, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I need the 110 plugged in to get a reading? The way I'm reading your troubleshoot is to unplug.

Hi, unplug the 120v ac, and test the 12volt side, run it on gas while your testing, It will give you a reading, I dont want you to get bit by the ac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, in order to do so I will need to go refill my propane. So you want me to negative voltmeter lead to ground and positive to 12v DC "blade" on circuit board?

Your are correct, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I actually did so with the 110 plugged in and got a reading of 0.145. Does that help at all?

You can do this with it plugged in, stay away from the glass fuse on the board it is ac, there is a 5 amp fuse on the board, I do want you to test voltage. That reading is 'funny' should read 12 + volts, make sure your meter is set to dc. thanks Did you remove the cover from the control module?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I did. Unfortunately I'm not seeing a DC setting on voltmeter and the screen did say AC on the ˜ V setting. I borrowed meter from neighbor. Is there a setting that reads DC that doesn't necessarily SAY DC?

It should have a dc setting if it is an ac dc meter, it could be that it only ac meter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks pretty generic. Not even a brand name. Sorry to waste your time. I'll go see if walmart or radio shack up the street has one. Ill be in touch

Thanks they dont have to be expensive. Look forward to hearing back from you.............Take a deep breath.........Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just got back and hear something clicking randomly on circuit board. little black cube I think. Relay possibly? -04.40 is the DC volts if I touch one lead to fuse and the other ground.

Yes thats a relay on the board...................hmmmmmmmmm go to the battery, and ck voltage, this will give us a baseline. and is your probe on the flat plastic fuse? And is the refer doing its 'funny thing' where the light is flashing, and the refer shutting off?